Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Chicken Brain



Diego and I ate chicken brain today. I get the impression that, in order to prepare their meat, they lay an animal down and chop him up from head to toe and serve the cross sections of animal, whatever they may be. I have support for this theory. See the pictures. I received both of these cuts of chicken in my lunch today. Diego dared me to eat some chicken brain out of the piece where you can see an eyelid. I told him I would if he did, expecting that to put an end to the matter. Obviously, this is the part where he ate chicken brain, and I ate chicken brain. I tried to eat it quickly, but just ended up smearing it on the roof of my mouth. It was smooth and creamy, lots of fat. I gagged a little bit; but it tasted like chicken.

Today at work a person came around with tiny gift boxes for us all. They contained a few pieces of foreign candy. When people get married in China, apparently the tradition is that they share their good fortune with everyone around them in the form of a little present. So I got some foreign candy in a tiny little box. I don't even know who is getting married!

We got off at a different bus stop this time on the way back from the office because we wanted to go to Walmart. On the way back we found an REI-like store literally thirty yards from where we have entered and exited the hotel for the last week and a half. I couldn't believe it, I was so happy. The prices are pretty typical of American stores, but the joy of these stores lies in just wandering around looking at all the cool gear. I'm sure I'll wander much in the coming weeks, followed always by a Chinese storekeeper wondering whether the crazy foreigner is going to try to steal something, I'm sure.

Diego is exercising, which he does religiously every day. I haven't been able to find the time. We have surprisingly little free time between work and getting dinner and whatnot. I hope I'm not losing all my fitness I gained training for the marathon. Ah who am I kidding, I lost it before I even came over here, haha.

1 comment:

  1. The photos look oddly tasty. I guess it's best if you don't think about it.

    ReplyDelete