Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cliff Jumping

I really should have considered what I was getting myself into when I decided to come visit Laurenne. The father of one of the other girls in the house is visiting, and he said he can’t appreciate a sport unless it’s possible to kill yourself participating in it. This seems to be the consensus on fun things around here.

We jumped off cliffs into a lake yesterday. Big cliffs. I think the biggest was about sixty feet off of the water. Birds were flying about thirty feet lower than our jumping platform. It was pretty terrifying, but also really fun. It was ridiculous how fast you fell before you hit the water, which is like concrete from that high up. I accidentally forgot to do the "pencil move" as I entered the water once and slapped my forearms on the surface. I have marks on my forearms today, but it was worth it. I jumped three or four times from about sixty feet, and jumped off of some smaller platforms. It was a pretty cool spot because we could jump into the water, turn around and do some rock climbing on the face of the rock we just jumped off. My rear end is a little sore today, but other than that I came to no harm.

Yesterday evening we went to a barbecue at Lindsey Vaughn’s house, a World Cup skier. I don’t know anything about ski racing, but she had several trophies in her downstairs room, so I think she’s a badass. The party was fun, a lot of cool people. Afterwards there was an informal dance party at Laurenne’s house which turned into a golf-course-streaking, drinking-game, indoor-climbing party. As far as impromptu dance parties which turn into other parties go, it was pretty solid.

I’m having a very splendid time. Laurenne’s friends are really friendly and fun, and I’m really glad I came to visit.

1 comment: